January 18, 2013

Three Tip Thursday - Kitchen

Okay guys, I'm going to try something new here. Every so often I'm going to share a collection of simple tricks that my family utilizes in our home and in our lives. I love the ah-ha moment of stumbling upon a new technique that simplifies life. Like the day I saw a friend instruct her toddler to hold the juice box by the "wings" - I was thrilled.

Anyways, I thought I'd periodically share on the blog a few of the tricks we use around our home. Many of these tips are things we've stumbled upon ourselves, while others we've picked up from observing others. These are things we actually do and hopefully you'll find them helpful as well.

1. Hate fresh baked cookies that stick together and crumble apart? Store them vertically instead of in layers! (It took me years to think of this, but now all my cookies stay fresh and in tact.)

2. Most store bought eggs are fresh well beyond the date printed on the carton. Test your past date eggs in a cup of water. Fresh eggs will sink. Bad eggs will float. ("Standing" eggs are still okay.) I checked half a dozen eggs eight days after expiration and only one had gone bad.


3. Peeling Vegetables. To preserve the longevity of my garbage disposal, I try to keep the majority of my vegetable peels from going down the disposal. I used to use four or five paper towels to wipe the produce peels out of the sink. Then one day I realized the plastic grocer bag (the one you used to purchase your veggies) works even better. Just put your hand inside the bag and swipe up the peels.

Let me know if you enjoyed this post :)
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! I've always struggled with the vegetable peels. -Who wants to touch soggy potato skin? So that trick will definitely be used! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete