December 2, 2011

Final Verdict on The Sneaky Chef


Earlier this fall a friend of mine loaned me The Sneaky Chef cookbook and I began trying sum of the recipes. If you missed my previous post, you can read it here, but the basic gist is to "sneak" pureed vegetables into kid appealing foods. Fortunately, my kid is a pretty good eater - I was more drawn to the book as a way to add variety and nutrition for us adults (ahhem, my husband.)

Overall, I think this cookbook could be very useful for families desperately trying to get even a bite of nutrition into their children's mouths. BUT, this book might not be worth the effort, for the average family with a semi decent diet. A quote on the back of the book sums it up well. It states, "The Sneaky Chef offers frustrated parents a simple, practical solution to getting their kids to eat healthier food, while avoiding the daily dinner table fight."

After trying many of the recipes, I have decided that it is usually easier and more rewarding to just eat the vegetables straight up. I would rather add some spinach leaves to my dinner's salad than to eat them later at dessert hidden in the chocolate chip pancakes.

I have tried several of the recipes. Some of them I liked and some of them I disliked. I will probably try a few more, to use up my remaining frozen purees. My absolute favorite was the flour blend (equal parts of regular flour, whole wheat flour, and wheat germ.) I have used the flour blend in many of my own recipes, including Belgium waffles and you absolutely cannot tell the difference! Here's the verdict for the recipes we tried:

LIKED- we will make these recipes again:
Masterful Mac 'n' Cheese with orange puree
Quick Fixes for Boxed Macaroni and Cheese
Flour blend- used in Belgium waffles and couldn't tell a difference!


DISLIKED- we did not care for these recipes
Cocoa Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Masterful Mac 'n' Cheese with egg boost
Quick Fixes for Tuna Fish Sandwich










No comments:

Post a Comment