November 28, 2012

Glass Christmas Light Gift Boxes - 2012


Last year I shared my lighted glass Christmas box gift block {HERE} which has been popular with Pinterest and Google searches. This project was also a popular present among my family and friends, so I made a few more this year to give as housewarming and neighbor gifts. I made a few slight changes to this year's version, but still equally easy with no craft tools required. I've also included a mini tutorial at the bottom of post with tips for making your own.

This year I chose to use white stranded Christmas lights, instead of the green wires, and I also added a flat glittery ornament to the front of each block. Possible places to display your lit Christmas gift include the fireplace mantle, the kitchen counter, in a window well, or under the tree.


Pin It

This is a perfect project for beginners because it doesn't require any special tools (or skills). It is such a beautiful, yet simple project. I hope you feel inspired to make your own.


Glass Christmas Light Box Tutorial:

Assembly Time: Under 20 minutes (plus overnight drying of glue)
Total Price: $12 - $22

What you need:

  • 100 count Christmas light set. This year I chose white wires -- $3 at Walmart
  • Glass Kraft Block with pre-cut hole in bottom -- originally $12 at Hobby Lobby (less if you print a coupon from HERE)
  • Wire edged ribbon --  $2 - $6 per spool depending on style
  • Two-dimensional flat glittery ornament -- lime green "peace" ornament $1 at Walmart, snowflakes in multipack from Lowes 

What you do:
Step 1: Plug in Christmas lights to stretch out any packaging folds in the wire.

Step 2: Fold strand of lights in half and begin to fill inside the block using a spoon for assistance. Make sure to keep the "boy" end of the plug outside the box. (Folding the strand of lights in half before insertion results in a more natural light distribution.)

Step 3: Rotate block so opening is at the bottom. Wrap ribbon around sides and tie a bow. My full bow tutorial can be found HERE, but this single image from another project should give you the bow-making gist.

Step 4: Glue on your ornament. I used E-6000 industrial strength glue instead of a glue gun because I didn't want the heat from the lights to soften the bond. After applying glue, put something heavy on top of the ornament to secure a tight bond and let dry overnight.


Step 5: Enjoy!

Read about last year's version HERE
Sharing this project at any number of the creative link parties listed HERE

6 comments:

  1. How much fun! I love that you used a wooden spoon to push the lights down. I am sure those were a big hit with your family and I can totally see how they were on pinterest as well. Your tutorial is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so pretty!! now i'm conflicted.. should i make these or the glitter bulbs i posted last week for "extras"?! decisions decisions. by the way.. i got your message.. sorry it's been crazy. I need to take a look at my blog..not sure why there is no join button on it. i thought there was! and i can't figure out how to get the pinterest button on there either.. i'm so not techy. i need to take a very basic class if i ever want to grow my blog! lol.. glad i met you through it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! I'd love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Tuesday - Saturday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, these are gorgeous and yet so simple to assemble! I'm so glad you linked up this project on our homemade holiday party! Don't forget to come and cast your votes for your favorite 5 (and have your friends come out and vote for you too!)

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've created three real beauties! One of my best friends gave me one about four years ago. A great treasure. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Dropping by to let you know that these beautiful Christmas blocks were featured on this week's Weekend Wonders! You can come grab a feature button here:

    http://thethriftinessmiss.blogspot.com/2012/12/weekend-wonders-19-and-features.html#.UMqPWW_BFPI

    Thanks so much for linking with us last week :) Hope to see you again this week too. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete