I did it. I jumped on the Linky Followers bandwagon. If you look in my sidebar you will now notice that in addition to Google Friend Connect (GFC) there is also a new option to follow via Linky Followers.
What is Linky Followers?
An alternative way to connect with your readers and the blogs you follow. It is also a blog reader.
Why did I add the Linky Followers tool?
Rumor has it that Google is taking away several of their popular services. Case in point, the beloved photo editing program, Picnik, is closing in April. GFC is rumored to be leaving next. Linky Followers is an alternative way to connect with readers. But that was only part of my motive...
My main motive was that I am extremely drawn to the idea of being able to organize and manage my blog reading experience. I follow a handful of blogs, some craft, some personal. Some I read often and others I read less frequently. I am intrigued by the promise of being able to customize my blog reader to suite the way I read my favorite blogs.
Adding Linky Followers also puts my blog onto their directory, which helps with exposure. I blog purely for personal reasons (partly to showcase my projects, partly to give me something intellectual to do). Although I make no money from my blog, I absolutely thrive on reader feedback. More exposure, means more feedback. Hopefully!
I found this post on the blog At the Picket Fence to be very informative in describing all the benefits of the program, as well as providing pointers on creating an account. It's a long post, but well worth the read.
How did I add Linky Followers to my blog?
1. First, I went to Linky Followers and created my free account. This is fairly straightforward.
2. After creating your new account, Linky Followers will provide you with the code to copy and paste to your blog.
5. The widget should now appear on your layout screen. Drop and drag to the desired location for display on your blog.
Once you've added the Linky Followers widget you are welcome to participate in the following blog hop. (I didn't create the blog hop, I'm merely participating.
And if you're unfamiliar with a blog hop...
|A blog hop is a linky list that is SHARED ON MULTIPLE BLOGS.|
When several blogs put the same linky list code on their blog, the
exact same list appears on each blog.
Blog visitors can submit their entries on any blog that contains the list.
The entries will appear on each blog where the list resides.
Blog readers see the same list on each blog, and can "HOP" from blog
to blog seeing the same list of links to follow: BLOG HOP!
1. Add Linky Followers tool to your site.
2. Follow me via Linky Followers. See my sidebar.
3. Add your blog button to the LINKY PARTY below.
4. Check out and follow other bloggers. Leave a comment letting them know you are following and ask them to follow you back.
5. Optional: Grab the BLOG HOP code at the bottom where it says, "Get the code here"and add the blog hop party to your own blog. This will be an identical continuation of the list you see here.
Remember: I didn't create this list, I am merely a participant!